Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Letting Go

A new concept I’ve been trying on for size (in my head) is letting go. Letting go of resentment, jealousy, competitiveness (the bad kind, not the healthy kind), repressed anger ~ you know, basically any emotion that is futile and self-defeating. Paraphrasing James Arthur Ray, “Not forgiving someone is like drinking poison every day and hoping the other person will die.”

I am toying with the idea of applying that same sentiment to resentment, jealousy, competitiveness (the bad kind, not the healthy kind) and repressed anger. Something inside me is beginning to click and I'm starting to realize I’m tired of drinking the poison. Who has time for that? And besides, my stomach hurts. As trite as it may sound, life really is too short (and it’s getting shorter) to allow those emotions any more space in my brain. Not to mention what it would do for my blood pressure.

It won’t happen overnight ~ some of these emotions run deep and have longevity. But it is a theory worth considering and I think I might work on it. It seems there is a lot more I want to say on the subject, but I’m just not there yet. Baby steps…

A couple of thoughts I’ll leave with you (and myself as well):

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
** Monhandas Gandhi

"When you forgive, you in no way change the past - but you sure do change the future."
**Bernard Meltzer

And on another note - a different slant - with which I happen to agree as well:

"Just because you forgive someone doesn't mean you have to invite them up to the house for potato salad."
**Oprah

Amen.




Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite quote on forgiveness (and a personal eye opener and life changer):

Forgiveness is letting go of the hope for a better past - from the movie Convictions starring Blair Brown

***

Good for you!

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

xlnt post
and I agree, small steps forward, and life is way too short

I went through a period of "letting go" not too long ago and it still continues till today, it has not been easy, not in any way shape or form, but I realize that it's only for the best and I don't wish ill upon anyone and if I caused pain and resentment towards me I hope to heal those wounds through my positive actions now...

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

^ p.s., that was me, Craig/btezra

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger James said...

FWIW...those things weigh so heavy on one's shoulders...it's a daily challenge for me as well..I only wish I was more aware of their negative effects earlier in life...better late than never, huh? We're on the right track.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

"It's quite possible to leave your home for a walk in the early morning air and return a different person–beguiled, enchanted."– Mary Chase, playwright and newspaper reporter

Another quote for you to contemplate on those morning walks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home