Monday, May 21, 2007

Old Paths. New Thoughts.

This morning the little bundle of energy and I chose to drive into the park rather than hike in. I miss my time near the water (it’s quite a hike in to the lake from the house; it’s an 880 acre park, after all!). So as we drove into the park, my car just went on auto pilot and drove to the trailhead we used to hike several times a week. Although it has been exciting and fun to explore new paths, it felt good… natural… to be back on some familiar turf. And maybe that freed up my mind to let random thoughts enter.

As often happens, things come to me on my morning walk/hike like those little white Christmas tree lights that blink on and off and sometimes hit a round that stays on for awhile. Like the time about a week ago when I realized I was beyond happy; I was content. That was kind of a breakthrough of sorts for me.

This morning I had similar thoughts but they came in a different wave. For years I’ve indulged in what could be considered self-destructive habits. I used to smoke cigarettes, but wisely gave them up eight years ago. I have enjoyed my evening wine or champagne for a long time now. Not that I would consider myself a wino. Maybe a champagno, but not a wino. *wink* Funny, then, how after being in the new house, the new surroundings, for a mere two weeks, I’m not feeling the need for more than the occasional glass of wine. And then it’s just to bid the time till dinner is ready. My biggest vice these days is probably Ben & Jerry’s lowfat frozen yogurt. (Although that can be quite addictive…) Clearly when I was unhappy I felt like self-destructing. Clearly now I do not.

My days start very early (for me – not someone ever referred to as "a morning person") between 6:00 and 7:00. I was in the park at 7:15 this morning. It allows me at least an hour, sometimes two ~ to walk and think and capture beautiful images. There’s still always plenty to do at the new homestead and my days literally fly by. In fact, I have a hard time remembering what day it even is… It’s 9:00 pm now and I’m thinking it’s about time to call it a day (whatever day it is). Very unlike the girl who quite often put David Letterman to bed and sometimes even Conan because I didn’t want tomorrow to start.

Another bonus ~ I’ve rekindled my love of reading at night. I picked out three yumm-o recipes from Rachel Ray’s magazine last night and tried one tonight. Very yum. I’m about halfway thru “The Year of Magical Thinking” by Joan Didion. It is about the sudden death of her husband and subsequent death of her only daughter. I'm not giving anything away here - you know that from page 1. It really makes me think… In one part she says that when she sees couples bickering it makes her angry. She wants to shake them and say, “You just don’t have enough time for this!”

It makes me think. Which works because my morning walks/hikes allow me time to reflect.

And so the circle is complete.


Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Reading at night is a favorite pastime of mine. So happy for you and all the good vibes in your life. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home