Thursday, February 15, 2007

Deciphering Messages

I feel stuck and it’s frustrating. I don’t do stuck well. Stuck literally and figuratively and creatively. It happens. Especially this time of year and especially in this unusual winter in which we find ourselves living. So I’m trying to figure out the message this quandary is wearing as it reaches out its hand out to me to pull me out of this rut. I have every reason to be happy and focused on the future. Hopefully the new house will present itself soon and we can begin preparing for a move. Believe me ~ when that happens, I won’t have time to be in a rut. And we’ve got a very special wedding on the horizon ~ only 5 ½ months away now. Every reason to be happy and excited.

But what do I do in the meantime? The day to day remains and I just can’t seem to get motivated. I know for sure I’m missing starting my days seeped deep in nature as opposed to a quick ice-skate around the neighborhood. I don’t even carry my camera for fear of falling and smacking it on the ice! (I've already fished one out of a snowbank.) The message I keep coming up with (of all things…) is to relax ~ consciously take some time off from the routine and the expectations I place on myself (reference past postings re: brow-beating…). I need something to kick start my energy and especially my creativity. I’ll repeat the words of my writing teacher: “When creative people aren’t creating, they need therapy. When they’re creating; they don’t.”

I made a feeble – very feeble - attempt to be productive today. I stood in the basement w/a half full box destined for Goodwill for five minutes this morning. I turned in a circle amongst the stacks of computer disks (who uses disks???) and the hubby’s grandfather’s “horse’s arse” metal bottle opener and an empty box for the oak toilet seat the previous owner installed about 15 years ago. And about 3,000 other treasures. I couldn’t handle it; I wasn’t mentally ready; especially knowing that I had made such good progress a year ago. A year ago I spent an hour a day in the basement (I timed it) with a little TV on in the background to keep me company. (Have I mentioned I’m addicted to TV?) Every day I would have a stack of bags and boxes at the bottom of the stairs destined for Goodwill. Every morning, the mister would haul them up the stairs, load them in the Jeep and drop them off at Goodwill. I even documented my progress every day with my camera. It was incentive. Things were looking pretty good until my sweet darling head (that’s our term of endearment for each other ~ “darling head”) sold his businesses and emptied his office in the basement. So much for my efforts…

So feeling very overwhelmed this morning, I compromised by dragging my feet up two flights of stairs, going thru a 10” stack of papers hidden in a desk drawer in my office and organizing them in files.

I’m feeling the need to step back from everything – computers and the internet and the outside world and just relax. Actually sit down and read a book before 11 pm (maybe I could read more than a chapter!) or watch a couple of movies I’ve never seen. All that philosophical banter I spew about just being in the moment… perhaps I should practice what I preach, if only for a couple of days. The weekend’s coming up; maybe it’s a good time.

We’ll see. I’m not too good at relaxing…

My parting words tonight ~ be sure to check your peanut butter in the pantry. I’m a Jif girl myself, but the mister is a Peter Pan guy (o, the irony...) and sure enough, the brand new jar of Peter Pan on the shelf had a number that started with 2111 stamped on the lid. In the el trasho. And once you’ve trashed the peanut butter, if you’re interested at all in “The Secret” I wrote about earlier here, you might want to tune into Oprah tomorrow. The show will be devoted to the overwhelming response they received from viewers after last week’s show discussing “The Secret.”

Be safe and be healthy. Peace out.



7 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I think you just need to do what you're feeling--back off and spend some time doing relaxing things. While I was reading this, I had a thought...a memory, actually...flash through my mind. I once worked as an office manager in an environment that offered little time to breathe. An up and coming company, not quite financially ready to hire additional help, which I desperately needed. But every once in a while, in the middle of all the stacks of tasks on my desk, I simply stopped and started cleaning and shuffling things around. For an hour or two, I didn't think about any of the work before me and did nothing but mindless activities. My bosses soon learned about the therapy this activity provided for me and began to say that I was feathering my nest. They understood that the time I spent 'feathering my nest' actually refreshed me and made me more efficient. The funny thing is that that time I spent was never missed. I didn't fall behind at all. Maybe you need to listen to your heart instead of your head right now :) Sounds like you need a little time to feather your nest, girl! Sometimes you just have to step outside something to get a better grip! - Shirley

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Cindi said...

see? that's why you came into my life. sharing experiences really does help. i think i will take a little time. :D thanks m'dear friend.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

And remember this, no matter how many times we stray, tomorrow is a new day and a new beginning. A new start.

Take all the time you need and when you can, teach me how to be all that I preach....

And breathe, in and out.
hugs

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Cindi said...

if i could teach you that, b, i'd be on Oprah. ;-) and for all my talk of taking time... we'll see. i have come to depend and so enjoy my cyberspace friends. :) but breathing is good, too...

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger James said...

Here's something for you: I never realized you were such a good writer.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger pearl said...

i think that it's all part of the creative process and being creative - the stuck part. i would say more, but i have a dr. appt in 30 minutes. have a happy weekend, sweetie! relax, enjoy. being creative shouldn't be a chore. and as for being productive, who's to say that 5 bags to goodwill is more productive than just being. allow it to yourself, and just let hubby do the basement (it's his deal and let him do it his way.... you know what i mean?).
love and hugs@

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Cindi said...

wow, skip, you made my day. seriously. i've been writing since i was a teenager and it's always been my first love. but it's hard. i escaped into the world of images a couple of years ago because photography just seemed easier to me. but i found i missed writing terribly; hence the new blog. so thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D
*gracie - you're right! being stuck is part of the process. i think it's a message to take a break, refresh, renew and return with new energy! as for the basement... obviously you've never met my sweetie. manual labor??? omg - what's that?? and i guess i wouldn't be so obesessed w/things like basements and goodwill if i didn't have moving on the brain. ugh. but i WILL take some time this weekend! :D
thanks, y'all!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home