Monday, February 05, 2007

Free Spirit

I had good intentions this morning – well, intentions anyway – of beginning the task of peeling wallpaper borders off the dining and living room walls. They’re stuck on there pretty well. They’ve been up for about 7 years (although it seems like I just put them up and painted the walls green). Even if we weren’t planning to put the house on the market soon, I would be taking them down. I’m over the whole Eddie Bauer décor – ducks and bears and pinecones. I love art deco and retro styles, but that probably would be a bit over the top (even for me). So, don’t know how the next house will be decorated, but I do know it’ll be fresh and new. I have a feeling the influence may come from beaches I love so much…

But for now I have to revamp the old and make it insipidly neutral. I don’t have to, but I’m work off the advice of a wise former realtor as to various ways to make a house sell quickly. One of the standards (typically) is – don’t assume everyone (or anyone) looking at your house will have your tastes. Not everyone adores color like I do. And (typically) off-white/neutral rooms appear larger.

So, anyhoo, I know I have my work cut out for me (and that doesn’t count cleaning the basement) – especially if we want to make this happen in the next few months (which I certainly do).

So, of course, I have spent the day doing a series of still photo shoots (which have been well received and I forgot how much I enjoy doing them – change of pace, I guess). Downloading, minimal tweaking, some flickr uploads, more shooting, trying to get my damn Epson to print (grrrr), eating the mini cupcake I was using for the shoot, perusing blogs and my flickr contacts photostreams, writing a couple of thank you notes and now I’m writing this. Ellen’s on and Oprah will follow and then the Mr. and I may go out for a light dinner to catch up on the weekend as he was in Texas and I was here.

I think I need a deadline.

3 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely. I look forward to the days of no deadlines...where I am more involved in the pleasure of 'just being' instead of having to do. - Shirley

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

You know, color can be a good thing. It doesn't all have to be egg shell white but definitely neutral and color that accentuates the room and lighting. Listen to me, my bedroom/bathroom still isn't finished.

Deadlines, sometimes I need them, too, or I wouldn't get anything done, even laundry.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Cindi said...

thanks you two.
*shirley - i am SO lucky to be able to schedule my days. i spent a lot of years unable to do that, so i never take it for granted. just feel guilty sometimes when i spend too much time "playing." ;-)
*b - just heard a report this morning that there are more houses on the market now than ever before and "staging" is so important. yikes. we may have to take some furniture out!
i hear ya' on the laundry deadlines, too. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home