Monday, January 21, 2008

Grey Skies

The day is drawing to a close, the sky is getting a 5:00 shade of grey (darker than the grey it was at 9:00 and noon and 3:00) and I’m trying to keep my eyes open. I realize that I’ve done nothing productive all day. I’ve emailed friends and family; played with a couple of photos; flickred a little; glanced at television occasionally. But I’ve done absolutely nothing productive. And, in light of all the work (on the book) I did over the weekend I’m thinking maybe that’s ok. I wish I wasn’t so tired – and wish that the Esther tape in my head that says “thou shalt not take a nap” wasn’t playing. (And I wish I hadn’t stayed up so late to watch the Lewis Black special. Even though it was really funny.)

This winter is different. I think our Colorado climate is changing - we used to have lots of blue sky sun-filled days all throughout winter; now it seems more like the Midwest I left behind decades ago – a seemingly endless string of snow and grey.

I think I’m changing. My winter is different. It’s turning into the winter of my discontent; the winter of my upheaval.

My climate is changing, too. My blue sky sun-filled days are turning shades of grey. What used to be so clear is muddled.

Spring remains to be seen…

2 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think everyone is yearning for spring and a change of life. It seems all the news wants to report is doom and gloom! It's a miracle they aren't driving us off a cliff! Spring is new beginnings...all our spirits seem to be needing it.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

This has been one of the most dreary winters that I can remember. The last few seemed to have more days with at least some sun. It's been so cold that I have not been able to spend anytime outside (except for the trip to Norman--cold but warmer than Chicagoland). I need the outdoors and sunshine. Not a SAD light.

Here's to an early spring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home