Sunday, November 25, 2007

Life. Or Something Like It.

So I’m trying to figure out two things:

Why I have this impending sense of doom. Why I have a morbid and depressing, yet intriguing, obsession with death and what comes after (and it’s not just because of my current involvement in a project by almost the same name). And why I kept hyperventilating in the art museum yesterday.

O, wait, that’s three things.

The hyperventilating bordered on an anxiety attack a couple of times. Go figure. It could have been because I was annoyed with the mister who was supposed to be spending quality time with me, but instead was spending a significant amount of time on his blackberry. So while he was doing that I spent some time studying the paintings and images in the Contemporary Gallery (my favorite of all the galleries, I think). I read about the artists ~ if they were still alive or when they died. And I stared at their signatures on their art. Some of these artists had been gone for many, many years. And yet their work and their name and their signatures live on.

I found myself wondering if my work would live on. If my name would live on.

And then I wondered why I cared. And what is it exactly I want to be remembered for? What am I hoping to contribute to society? What will be my legacy? And, why do I care? I'll be gone!

And why do I spend an inordinate amount of time feeling bad about myself? And then feeling bad that I spend so much time doing that because life is too fricking short to be doing that. It is one frustrating and draining endless circle.

Sheesh. No wonder I hyperventilate.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

cindi, when you figure it out, can you share the secret? You really have no reason to be so hard on yourself and at least C went to the museum with you. That's more than I would ever get.
sending hugs your way.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

BTW, you have made your mark in your kind and sharing ways. Trust me, you've left your mark in ways that are far reaching.

And I'm sure I can keep adding to both these entries.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Cindi said...

b - honestly, next time i'm going alone. we all have different definitions of "quality time" i guess.
your remark about me making a mark brought tears. but i still don't believe i'll be remembered 5 minutes after i'm gone. and i'm still trying to figure out why the heck i care!!!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

oh but you will be remembered by many, me included. Our marks don't have to be those of the famous. They happen in little ways, sometimes in that smile we share with a stranger. Or a friendly email with a name across the web miles. You make your mark in many ways.

I do way too much alone, to the point where I'm preferring to be alone. Is that a good thing? Not a question to ponder at this hour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home