Saturday, August 11, 2007

Waterlogged

I’ve been swimming laps in this pool of emotion for months now and I’m exhausted. My heart and my head working at times in concert; but more often than not, against each other.

Wanting to put the past behind me but turning to hear it knocking on my door ~ it follows me whether I want it to or not. I can’t escape decisions I’ve made, actions I’ve taken and now, in retrospect, how that has affected more than just me. When I start going down for the count in that sea of regret these words act as my life preserver ~ “When you knew better; you did better.” Everyone makes mistakes ~ some of us just make bigger ones than others.

Awhile back I wrote about “letting go.” In that case I was referring to letting go of anger; now I need to let go of guilt. Things I should have done; action (or inaction) that has disappointed others; and the mother of all guilt ~ the masterful art of brow-beating. Guilt is the most useless of all emotions ~ it most often applies to events that have passed; and there really is very little one can do to go back in time and change something that has already happened. We don’t live in “back to the future.”

I want to stop wallowing in that swamp that is guilt. Those waters will suck you down and drain your life’s energy if you let them. A cocktail a day of self-loathing mixed with a shot of self-pity can poison your soul.

It stops now. Because the only one that can save me is… me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgiveness is not just about others. It about forgiving ourselves as well. And I continually go back to one of my favorite quotes from a movie called Convictions (Blair Brown): Forgiveness is letting go of the hope for a better past.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger James said...

Ditto. Nice to see you writing here again!

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Are you in my head? It is possible, there is plenty of room up there. ;)
Seriously, I'm with shirley. It all starts with forgiving ourselves. And that old cliche about loving yourself first.... Seems though, that it's hardest to forgive and love ourselves... at least me.

Nice to see you back and finding the time to blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home