Monday, July 02, 2007

Remembrance

Someone once told me dates – anniversaries if you will – can lurk in dark forgotten corners of your mind and resurface at the most unexpected times. Sometimes you’re not even aware that it is an “anniversary” ~ you just have a nagging feeling that something is different about that day. It may come and go without you ever recognizing or realizing what it was. But something happened that day that left an indelible mark on your soul.

I have a mind full of trivia – useless information – which really serves no purpose, save perhaps a couple of categories I can ace in “Trivial Pursuit.” I have often wondered how much room I would have for really intelligent conversation were my mind not so full of ineffectual clutter.

Dates. I remember those. Sometimes it’s important to remember; sometimes it’s better to forget. I remember a lot of happy dates; but I remember my share of dark ones, too. Both remind me of how fleeting life is; how quickly things can change ~ even if it takes years. I try to tell myself that the bleak ones make me appreciate the joyous ones.

But sometimes they just remind me of what’s missing, what is forever changed and what will never be again.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

I know these coming days will bring lots of memories, tears and hopefully smiles. Thinking of you. ~hugs

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Cindi said...

thanks, b. i'm looking forward to some happy dates coming up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home