Friday, March 02, 2007

It's Age

I am the luckiest person ever because after years and years of working in jobs just to buy groceries (meaning they were for the most part ordinary and mundane), I was able to stop workin’ for the man and pursue my own interests on my own time. Which means I am in charge of my schedule each day. And that is the greatest gift anyone could give me because I am not exactly a morning person (unfortunately a trait I think I passed on to my children…).

So even though my days start fairly early, I approach them at my own pace. For instance – it is 9:50 am as I’m writing this and I’m still in my walking sweats. I woke up at 6:00. Watched the news from bed for 30 minutes while chatting up the mister. Spent some time reviewing emails; posted a couple of photos to Flickr; walked the dog (or should I say slid the dog). Came home and swore a little because it’s snowing again and wasn’t supposed to and I’m really sick of winter. Ran downstairs to start the laundry (biggest thing I’m looking forward to in a new house? Laundry facilities on the main or second level!). Ate a weight watcher type grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast ~ there are ways to make it low cal, low fat. I was super hungry because I didn’t eat much last night. Listened to the Today Show for awhile; switched over to Rachel Ray for awhile. Chastised the dog for eating the cat’s catfood again. I got them both new food – chicken flavored Iams and Simba was quite taken with hers until she tasted A-choo’s. Now she prefers A-choo’s. *sigh*

So, you get the drift of how my mornings begin. Yesterday went much the same ~ with one exception… I was happily emailing a friend in California, still in my walking (sliding) sweats after folding some laundry (yes, it is a never-ending task) when my little date reminder in Outlook popped up saying I had an appointment in 10 minutes. With my Doctor. Who charges $50 if you miss an appointment. Omg I absolutely panicked. My heart literally picked up an alarming pace… I clicked into the message and had a slight, very slight, relief when I saw that I had built in a 30 minute cushion ~ the appointment wasn’t at 10:30, but at 11:00. But it was 10:25 and I needed to shower and dress and drive to the office.

My problem? I had thought all week that my appointment was Friday. Nope. It was Thursday. Long story short, I made it on time (thank goodness the office is only about 7 minutes from the house). But I did have to explain the baseball cap – no time to wash my hair. Scary-looking hair. So as I was explaining to the Doc (whom I’ve been seeing for 20 years) why the baseball cap, he said, “So you were planning to come in on Saturday?”

I just looked at him.

He stopped for a second and said, “See, now you’ve got me doing it. You know what they call that? Age.”

And then he gave me grief for not getting the colonoscopy he’s been telling me to get for the last two years.

Talk about age!


2 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Age, it's better than the alternative..... And you are like
fine wine, getting better with each passing year. Me, on the other hand, I'm like a fine cheese, getting stinkier all the time. ;)

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger pearl said...

you two guys crack me up!
i've decided that i'm not getting old - it's just that my gray hair doesn't quite know that yet.

unfortunately, i'm a morning AND night person - i feel like i'm constantly going.

love the photo, Cindi!

hugs and love!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home