Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Procrastination

Procrastination - the deferment or avoidance of an action or task; often linked to perfectionism.

Hmmm… perfectionism? Never looked at it that way before. I just thought it meant I suffer bouts of laziness. Things I procrastinate the most about are laundry and packing. Both of which I need to do in the next couple of days. I don’t even mind laundry that much – it’s just going up and down two flights of stairs to do it. So, as we embark on our annual house-hunting adventures once more (this time we’re serious) the deal breaker is “where is the laundry?” If it’s in the basement, we move on to the next house.


And then there’s packing for a trip… I’d pay someone to do it for me. Somewhere along the way I not only took on the job of packing for myself, but also the Mister. I think that happened when he was so wrapped up in his career that the only trip-related thing he had time for was getting in the car and driving to the airport. It was kind of a compromise. I got to get up each day and do whatever I wanted to do (hence the charmed life...); he worked his butt off. But in the last year his time has become more his own, so on the last trip he [attempted to] pack for himself. That was interesting… I truly think it’s just easier for me to do it rather than answer endless questions. “Do you know where my travel toothbrush is?” “What shirt goes with this sweater?” “Did you wash my Gap jeans?” “What’s the weather going to be like?” "Where's my sports coat?"

Aghhhhh! I’ll just pack for him.

And the goal has always been to travel light. Ha! “Light” really doesn’t fit into our vocabulary when it comes to traveling. We each need a laptop, cameras (we each travel with 2 - 3 if you count the camera phones, but sometimes I've got 4 with me), cables, extension cord, power strip (yes, we travel with a power strip), chargers, IPods, speakers and an external hard drive (yes, we travel with an external hard drive – after my laptop crashed and I lost about 300 travel photos). And all of that translates to one heavy bag. And I haven’t even packed the clothes yet.

So, I’ve sufficiently procrastinated now for about 30 minutes (between writing and talking to my son). Think I’ll go download some photos from this morning. And then do the laundry. Maybe.

So here's today's question:
"What do you procrastinate about?"

2 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one is easy. I procrastinate over things where an element of fear of some sort exists.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Everything. I'm always procrastinating, especially when it comes to dusting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home