Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Censorship

Two things on my mind this morning; well maybe three.

The first one – I fell asleep last night worried that I wouldn’t have anything to write about this morning. Two days into the blog and I’m putting pressure on myself already. Sheesh. If you don’t know me; you do now...

Second – and this ties into the first – I worry about the “exposure” anything posted to the internet provides. Which isn’t always a good thing. When I wrote on my blog a few years ago ( I think it was back in 2002 or 3…) I was fairly new to the ways of cyberspace. A babe in the woods so to speak. So I never really thought about who might be reading what I was writing. Now I’m a little more experienced in the interactive nature of the internet and the attention – both invited and uninvited – it can bring. Now I actually know people in cyberspace; I have people I consider friends in all parts of the world. It’s exciting. But the flip side can be a little frightening. There are people in all parts of the world who I don’t consider friends; I may not even know them. But they know me. And, that, my friend, gives me pause (literally) when it comes to writing about my life and my feelings.

Which poses the question – is self censorship required now? I don’t like that thought. After all, the writing I enjoy most (and am told I do best) is that of the personal essay genre. If I can’t write what I’m thinking and feeling and experiencing, I’m pretty much stifled. So, it’s a fine line – safety or taking a chance…

The third thing on my mind? Cabin fever. I’m so over snow and cold and icy sidewalks!

And it’s only the first week in January… more on that tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Cindi, while we know a portion of you through your writings and your photos, we can never know the entire you.

What you write about may always include some self-censorship but the wisdom of your words will help us to know ourselves better even while learning about you.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you're saying. I had an episode last night that I wanted so much to write/vent about. But I am always having to be mindful of who's reading my words. Right now, it just seems I can't write.

However, I enjoy reading whatever you write.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger pearl said...

I can speak firsthand about that, Cindi. I was stalked by some of my colleagues which is why I've coded my blog so that google can't and doesn't sweep it - it doesn't show up on any search engines. whew!

Move to Arizona! We weren't even wearing sweaters today - although it has been freezing here! AND, your gorgeous summers make up for all this freezing/gorgeous snow!

hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home