Thursday, January 18, 2007

Adrift

In the wee small hours of the morning I stood on the balcony of the ship and watched as we passed thru seemingly endless rain showers. Fog drifted in and out on an eerie carpet that was the grey ocean below. Grey everywhere. Although it was lonely and a little frightening standing there alone, it was where I belonged. The fog was the cloak I should be wearing that morning. Its heaviness suited me.

I was disoriented and lost – as lost as the tall ship drifting in and out of the clouds. What was it doing out here on this vast emptiness? Where had it come from? Where was it going? Watching the sails argue with the wind, I realized I was the ship and the ocean she sailed upon was my life. Drifting. Always drifting. With no direction, no compass, no land in sight.

This morning I awoke at sea yet again. Pre-dawn and it is grey. The fog has embraced me like an old friend. And here I am once more, drifting in and out of softly falling rain. Disoriented, the horizon is a blur. The guiding stars are gone. Haze obscures the view. The land that is the future is nowhere to be found. And something is haunting me...

Drifting. Just drifting. With no direction, no compass and no land in sight.

2 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I know to say is 'wow'.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Your words and cloak could be my own. Drifting.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home